Wednesday, 16 June 2010

The Missed Call

Missed Call

An unattended call to convey that you are missing someone




Dedicated to my Girl (Friend)
AND
“To all the love birds on this beautiful Planet”






“If I could be any part of you, I’d be your tears. To be conceived in your heart, born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips!”
--- Anonymous


“The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them”
--- Anonymous

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
--- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Have you ever wondered which hurts the most: saying something and wishing you had not, or saying nothing, and wishing you had?”
--- Anonymous



Copyright © 2008 by Vinod Khatharnaak


Thanks Giving Section


“Thanks a ton to my friends and colleagues for there moral support”



“I sincerely thank Corporate AIRTEL postpaid connection of 600 minutes free&200 SMS free plan, without which my “Missed Call” wouldn’t have been immaculate.”



“Thanks to Microsoft-Word Tool for analyzing my ideas, pain, joy, suffering and emotions for spelling mistakes & suggestions “




Notes


I was in touch with priya when I was penning this blog.
“After 10 years” section is purely imaginary and who knows may be real imagination???





























Prologue:

After Ten Years

It was raining in Bangalore, predicting when its going to rain in b’lore is like when a pregnant woman will deliver a baby, you really don’t know—Any Time & Any Where!!
I came back from office after juggling, slogging at 7:30 PM and was almost drenched, removed my shoes, tie and craned my neck to 180 degrees for two times back &forth to check if somebody is around, my wife and daughter were in kitchen,
I said “Hey Priya get me a cup of strong coffee, strong decoction please!!” …………
…………………………………………………………………………………….



From the other side, Priya said “Vinod, keep your books, shoes, bag all your stuff and freshen up yourself & come to kitchen ………….I am quite occupied. …………Help yourself”

























The Play:

Chapter1:

Year: 2001-02


IT was nice evening after a HOT afternoon and I was running like a dog as I was getting late for the schedule, during those days it was very costly affair to find such a virtual happiness, for an hour I had to pay 70-80 INR but being a human being once you start enjoying something nothing really matters not even money, Time………for that so called an hour enjoyment I was running and finally I reached my destiny and owner directed me to the small place of 2*2 feet area where I am suppose to start my activity for entering virtual world of happiness -Browsing Center- this where I am coming from past 6 months.

I opened her and she showed me “Windows is Booting Up, Please wait”, computer loaded its operating system and after that I logged myself to the yahoo messenger- the popular one at that time, and entered chat room looking for gal’s profiles and buzzing so many gals profile for chat but no luck my god!! And after an 30 minutes there was a reply from one gal ID “priya_pri” …………we exchanged words, sentences for nearly 1 hr that included information from my side,

“Studying in Engineering 2nd year and about my age, sex, location……….so on”
She said “from goa doing her 2nd year PUC …………………..so on”

During conversation I asked for her snap but there also my jinx continued to haunt me, no luck so I said to myself better luck next time…………………………..





After an hour in internet browsing center I wouldn’t be aware that how those seconds, minutes, hours passed …………..that’s what I love about it and that was my virtual world of happiness.

During my 2nd of engineering I was not so serious about studying, it was just like if required “JUST DO IT” otherwise don’t. Again I was busy with my internals,practicals,Lab….Exams so I forgot everything – that I chatted with some lady called priya……………………and about my virtual happiness world for a while…..





Chapter 2:

Year: 2001-02 Continued …………



Drugs, Yes my god!! I had been addicted to chatting something like routine drugs consumer. During my leisure time there was one thing that tickles my mind was “Chatting, Chatting and chatting ……..Browsing Center” when most of my classmates were busy with boozing, smoking and dating I was busy in chatting and had started spending around 1500 INR from my pocket money for chatting that’s how I was addicted.

One evening co-incidentally priya came online, again it started with “How you are…….I am fine………..” And again I asked for the snap but this time my luck bluffed my jinx that was haunting me from long time and she “Yes I have it, I will send in a moment” it was a lottery day for me, I got ONE No!! TWO No!! THREE Snaps, From God what better I could have asked for!!!! There is one saying in Hindi “Bhagwaan jab bhee detha hai chhappad phad ke detha hai” and every dog has its day and today was my Day.


Those 3 snaps were of her birthday celebrations at GOA with her family and friends. You don’t know the overwhelming joy when you see 2D image of a person whom you are chatting/Talking to!! Just can’t be expressed. Though images were not so clear but fair enough to give me a 3D resembleness to whom I am speaking to!! After sending snaps she logged out, logged out from messenger throughout that Year I didn’t see her online for a couple of days and I forgot her ………………





Chapter 3:

Year: 2001-02 Continued …………



It was 1st of 2002, I had kept an eye, a close eye on her; she was beautiful, gorgeous, blond, innocent…. (Is there anything I am forgetting? dont know!!) On the new first day of 2002 I had my breakfast with my hostel mates at “Rustum’s” where the poori’s were just used to be awesome so I had “Three plates Only” (Like how we mention on the cheque leaf “One Crore Only”), to mention something proudly I was know as “Tiffin King” because in a day I used to have as many as 7 breakfasts (Now don’t ask me the timings) While we were on our way back to hostel we saw her on her way back to home, some of my crazy friend challenged that “ Nobody has proposed her so far if someone proposes her then there will be a boozing treat from others” and that’s all, some positive force drove me to her and I went ahead to propose her

First I wished her “I wish you a very happy New Year madam!!”
She said “Thank you and same to you but I don’t know who you are!”
I Said “My name is vinod, I want to tell you that, that ……I LOVE YOU“and she stunned “One more thing, you possess a great pleasant smile”

She “Thanks, what do you do? And where you stay”
I said “I am in 8th Semester of Computer Science branch and I stay in hostel”
She “Thanks for the wishes and proposal, shall I leave now??”
I Said “Yes!!” and she left; now so many thought started tickling my mind my god!! did she accept that seriously?? Is she going to complain to principal? If she complains then what will happen to my final year………………shit!! What have I done??..
……………………………

My friends were watching all this and stunned, some one said ‘That’s my boy, great!!” Some one “Fool, you have screwed up your final year, what will happen if she complains against you to HOD!! ..........................” and other said “You have the guts, otherwise nobody is dared to propose there lecturer (– My lecturer Aarthi, Its just been a couple of months that she became as our lecturer.)” Now I stunned & afraid of the consequences but later nothing had happened, on the same evening we had party at “Blue Bell” restaurant and enjoyed!! Later days whenever she confronted me she used give her same old “Great pleasant Smile…….” And I passed my 8th semester with Distinction (Congratulations for the achievement)!! And went to Silicon Valley of India- Bangalore for hunting JOB…
I had almost forgotten about chatting and Priya……… because my career was at stake……….




Chapter 4:

Year 2002-2004


“ Graph full of crusts &troughs of a sinusoidal wave” that one will get once somebody draws graph of my percentage V/s Semester. Parents always wants to see there children happy but when I was happy after finishing my BE they were not contented as they want more happiness i.e. MTech….MBA………………………..

“Now what are your future plans?? What you wanna do?” my father asked me, to be very frank I am such a lazy bozo that I wont plan what I would be doing next hour, see my father is asking about FUTURE……Great haaan……..within a fraction of seconds I said “Mtech-MBA” father said “First conquer Mtech then think about MBA” as if Mtech is another world and I am Hitler who wanted to conquer the world. Hesitatingly I said “YES”; I love power of the word YES!! Its useful when you want to conclude something without even thinking about it or without wanted to think about its consequences, something like “Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong Answers” i.e. YES.

On July 2002 I landed in Silicon Valley of India i.e. Bangalore, it was my first visit to any metropolitan city (I really don’t know B; lore was, but for the person who stays in tier 2 cities it’s possible, In my hometown I was staying like a frog in a well………) and my cousin came to pick me to the great majestic, while on my way to home in BMTC I enjoyed garden city’s gardens, Roads, People ….some good chicks…. .
I was staying with my 2 cousins who were already working (Its none of my business to disclose the names of the companies).

I am disclosing a secret here, I had planned to do GATE preparation to pursue Mtech for Time Pass and was not serious at all, I hated Mtech and was keen on doing MBA. Finally in GATE, as reckoned by me & my cousins I didn’t get the required percentile so I started hunting for a JOB…………. Meanwhile I started my old activity i.e. chatting and I found lot of new people, friends but not priya ……even I had forgotten that I have her profile in my messenger which is not online from past couple of months.

During this couple of months I was hunting for my JOB and priya was quarreling/Debating with her father that she wants to do LLB but her father hated her for doing LLB and she hated her father for hating LLB.finally she won &joined to LLB in Mysore that’s where everything changed in our lives…………………










Chapter 5:

Year 2002-2004


It’s after 3 months struggle that I got a JOB(Don’t ask me about the package) on contract basis and was hunting again for better prospectus so I finally landed into my 2nd company, I am here from last 1 year and everything is going Just fine……YES Just Fine……………There was no JOB satisfaction………………..

One fine day I was juggling with my work and then I could see Priya online so I buzzed her and we started speaking like how is she?? What is she doing……….she told me that she is in mysore and joined LLB and before concluding with thinking that She wont lend me her cell number usually girls wont lend it easily but… I asked her cell number and you know what, I got it!!! Now my mind is racing like Buffoon this may be a dummy number that’s always not reachable Just let me try & I phoned that number and after 5 rings lady started speaking……………..she was none other than PRIYA and there its begun. I spoke for 5 mins (Short & Sweet) I couldn’t believe it that it’s an immaculate number………………………………Joy was overwhelming and I stored my debut feminine contact as “PRIYA” in my first cell phone i.e. BenQ.

Over the period of time we spoke to each other and after someday I came to know that she has a boyfriend who is her classmate as well; after sometime, say 1-2 months we were kind of busy in our own world so we I forgot calling her and neither she tried reaching me but still there was a contact named “PRIYA” in my cell. One fine day I was in a meeting and got a MISSED CALL during meeting hours I didn’t even bother to see. usually I didn’t use to get any missed calls but after meeting when I came to know it was from priya so I called her up and we spoke for couple of minutes then again in the evening I got a missed call and I called up from my cell, again we spoke and that’s how the modus operandi called MISSED CALL developed and understood by me N her.






Chapter 6:
2004-2006


Priya was/is a chatterbox and so was I but not as good as her, whenever we spoke on phone it would be min of 30 minutes and we used to discuss on various topics or simply quarrel on some debatable. To be very frank I didn’t have any attachment till this stage with her and I don’t know why but then again you don’t know when it develops.

I shifted my living place and job to vijayanagar, new organization respectively
My 2nd cousin moved to UK for his job and 1st cousin got married. Priya was enjoying her LIFE and studies. I had couple of C&C- Crush & Crashes during this stage
But I never knew loving, missing, caring someone at this stage.

I couldn’t have imagined that my mobile can change so many things in my life
Somehow I feel that it can communicate some impossible things, you ask me how?? Sometimes it’s not possible for you to convey some things face to face in that case you can call that person on his/her cell and convey. Examples: for Clearing misscummunication, for apologies to you dear one…..for proposing to you GF………..

My friend Shashi who hails from Mysore got engaged and his marriage was at Mysore so this brought my opportunity to meet priya so I called her up & asked can we meet?? She said YES, marriage was on Saturday so I thought we would meet on sunday so on Saturday I called her up to ask where she is ??
She said “I had gone for outing, I will be back in the evening so we will meet tomorrow at Coffee Day” and I said “OK”. Next day morning I lied to my friend that I want to explore the city so I would be back in the evening and left to my first debut date
I didn’t know anything about the city so I hired a Auto and asked auto driver to take me to her specified location, while on drive I enjoyed the beautiful traditional mysore city, we passed the famous palace and after 2 minutes he stopped saying that this is your destination, I got down & started staring around the street to check where is she and she was right in front of me on the other side of the road in blue (My Favorite Color) salwaar kameez with her friend, damn!! I wanted to meet her alone but OK. She is so beautiful, gorgeous…was this lady whom I am speaking & chatting for 6 years??…….this came to mind because I saw her in snap when she was in PUC 2 .

It was first time that we were face to face, we chatted so much time on phone but this was thrilling and I was bit nervous to speak, we casually greeted ourselves and she introduced her friend. We went to pizza hut but menu was not so inspiring so changed our plan to go to CCD-Café Coffee Day, CCD’s mission statement reads “A lot can happen over coffee” but for me nothing really happened…, we ordered our respectives and started eating them but still I was nervous to speak to her, first because of presence of not very well know entity-Her friend and second I never spoke to her face to face & that close with an eye contact.

She started asking me “hey why you are not speaking?? on the phone you speak like anything but here you are silent like hell” and I know why was that. somehow I managed to speak casually but it didn’t go the way I and she wanted ( I can be really a chatterbox if I would have spoken to her face to face more often but this was first time so I was bit reserved) so we discussed on my job, her studies,mysore as a city, about her friend……so on for 2 hours and after that we came out of CCD(-A Lot of unknown & weird things can happen over coffee”) by walking on the streets priya took me to the food world , now don’t ask me why ? even I don’t know why, still now if I ask priya why she took me to the food world ?? she simply laughs and says “ there was no other nearest place to show you around so …”
We spent 1 hour at FW and decided that we will disperse now as it was 6:00PM in the evening & her hostel entry time is 7:00 PM so we hired an auto and decided that drop her on the way & I will go to my friend’s HOME, while on our way back I took her snap through my 6600 nokia mobile, now again don’t ask me why?? I don’t have any answer for this….
We greeted each other and she left to her hostel, I reached my friend-shahsi’s home and I was very happy that I met her face to face(I cannot put my happiness in words here, sorry) and this was my first date.

The next day I reached bangalore and same old office,tension,traffic……….and again we were in touch through our Cell phones- Missed Calls……….



Chapter 7:

20007-2008


Year 2007 was very much blessing to me, it had not only brought so many new opportunities in my LIFE but also brought myself and priya close (Through Cell phone off course) I had never hooked upto the phone so much but in 2007, 35-50% of the time I was hooked onto the phone talking to her. I own my cell phone from past 4 years but never ever I got a 4-digit phone bill but 2007 that happened but I didn’t care.

In a day I used to get as many as 10 missed calls and same number of outgoing calls to her, you can say” The number of outgoing calls to her is directly proportional to missed calls", I enjoyed each and every moment that we spent conversation over the phone. Its my cell phone which gave me all new world which I cant describe.

I woke-up early Sunday morning by 6:00 AM, finished my morning dependencies and started making tea, mean time my cousin brother woke up and stunned to see me

“My god, what re you doing here and that to so early in the morning?? Going for jogging??”

I said “Heheheheheheeh NO! NO! Our BE classmates have arranged a get-together in a resort on Mysore road and we are going by BIKE, will return in the evening”

“Did you convey message to doddappa (My father) that you are going?? And that to on BIKE”

I said “Yeah I have conveyed (I Lied) “ I know, he will call my father to crosscheck so after I start from home I have to call and convey before all my plan screws up.
“OK!! Enjoy but be careful on Mysore road, you know driving on Mysore road is a beautiful drive to HELL”

I said “I will be careful” and I was nervous a bit What if something goes wrong?? Arrey chalo yaar daily I drive for 40 KM at least so toady a bit extra I had tea, took bath and started to leave without breakfast

Sister-In-Law “What’s so hurry?? Have breakfast and leave” O hell No!! Again I have to lie??
I said “No my friends and I have decided that we will have breakfast in resort so I better leave to catch up with them”

Cousin “OK!!!” there is something wrong here, this crazy vinod may be lying so its better call up his father and convey message to him so he take an action on this.

In the beautiful sunny morning I was on my way, on way to Mysore YES!! To meet Priya!! It was decided a week before that we would meet again and this time she agreed to meet me alone so I said we will go and sit on bank of the river, she said “NO” we will meet in Mysore, so be there on next Sunday!! After 10 KM on my way to Mysore I got a call and that was from my father……………… I know and was reckoning this!!! My sweet cousin brother had conveyed the message to my father, so lighting fast…………………..Great haan..


Chapter 8:

20007-2008 Continued……………………..


I said “Hello,Yes appa tell me……….”
“Vinod, where are you right now?? And where are you going?? What the heck is going on here “ my father demanded, I dismounted from my bike and took a deep breadth
“Actually I was on my way to resort where our engineering college friends have planned for a get-together.”
Father “ how far it is??, where is it?? How you are going ?? When you will come back?? Did you inform in house??” For one moment I felt like I had an HR round interview on phone, usually my family members especially my father believes that I tell something and do something—in short they don’t believe in whatever I say……………and that’s somewhat true as well ………………..

I said “ Its just 30KM on mysore road, I am going by my bike with my friends and will be back in the evening 6:00PM, yes!!! I have informed in the house”.

Father” Yesterday there was no plan and you didn’t tell me anything!! its planned early in the morning by 6:00 AM?? This get-together will have only food or drinks as well…”

That was a much-reckoned good question, I love these crazy questions, so here we go “No no!! Only food!! No drinks, all of my friends including me are sober so don’t worry…”

Father” OK, Mysore road highway traffic is horrible so take care and Just keep me updated once you reach & start from there to home”
“Sure, I will keep you updated” and my father hung-up.

Again my mind started calculations I told him resort is 40 KM away and I should reach there in 30 minutes but actually I was going to mysore & its 140 KM and will take at least 2 Hrs so what to do?? My mind manages these situations more carefully!! Ask me how?? It’s simple, after 30 minutes call father and convey him that I have reached resort …Waaah Well done my boy………………….. I mounted on my bike and way to Mysore on Mysore high way.



I didn’t know why even priya was worried about Mysore road traffic so much when I told her that I am coming by bike, My father and priya are crazy!! I am driving in Bangalore from past 4 years and I regularly commute to office on this route, I know each & every loophole of this road…I can manage …but sometimes I would be overconfident and take decisions without even thinking about the consequences………… and after 20 KMS on the mysore road high-way, 3 loaded Trucks overtaken me from left & right side I was stunned and lost my confidence that I would reach mysore & comeback safely!! One moment I thought let me inform priya that I will come next week by bus and will return home but again I thought what ever I am going means I am going, there is no stopping, C’mon vinod you can do it!! Then I started and didn’t stop till I reach myosre…………………

It was dasara in Mysore and as I was entered Mysore through its “Welcome to Mysore” arch, city was decorated like a bride. I lost in the city and didn’t know how to reach my destination in the city where priya asked me to!! So I stopped near a traffic cop and asked for the route
Cop “Due to dasara that route is closed, take a diversion here, go straight then take a 2 left and then again first right …………” and I am confused but started on his guided route…. Somehow I reached my destination and called up priya,
She said “Vinod, you reached, ok!! Wait there for 5 minutes I will be there in a moment”
I said “OK”
So many things were going in my mind how will she be looking after 2 years? How to begin my conversation? what to talk about?? It’s my first date with any girl! ! Where she will come from ?? from the route in front of me?? Backside… Let me see……… I started scanning for all the routes…………. And then finally she arrived from a street just in front of me …..She has lost some weight but still beautiful gorgeous but why she doesn’t come same in the snaps?? She was wearing a black salwar kammez that suited her very well When I met her last she had a long hair but now its little bit short,she was a bit sexy fat but now lean …so many things were running in my mind but she took a left turn I recognized her though but she couldn’t as I had shaved my head recently so I called her up and she spoke,

“Abe saaale kaha jaa raha hai ??”
I said “I am here; I was beckoning Just turn around dear paandu (That’s how I used to call her)” she came to me
“Vinod, saaale so kaisa raha safar?”Ye tho saala gunda lag raha hai 6 foot aur head shaved my god heeh
“Accha thha it took 2 hrs on my bike to reach here, thu saaala ajeeb dikha raha hai , photo me tho alag diktha hai”
Priya “Arrey kya hua tumko doubt aa raha hai kya ki mai hee paandu(Priya) hoon??
We both laughed aloud
I said “dekho Paandu, I don’t know anything abt mysore other than its name and famous palace so you should guide me and decide where we should go “
She said “ Arrey saale, as we had planned to go to the bank of the river but I am bored of going there so how about going to a resort on ooti road its quite a place and good “

I said “Yes , No problem anything that you like”
She sat on my bike sitting in the pillion I can smell her perfume, feel her body behind me suddenly I recalled that’s why they say “behind every successful man there is a woman ….and later I thought” behind every unsuccessful man there are lot of woman..i laughed my self she was guiding me to the resort and I was following her directions , Its 15 minutes still we are riding
“Abe Priya ke bachhe muze kya mysore darshan kara raha hai?? Kab aayega ye resort??”

Priya “Abe Ullu bangalore me rehke tuze itna bhee pata nahi ki resort hamesha city ke bahar hote hai??”

I said “Ab thum ispe bhee zagda mat karna meri maa, theek hai bolo abhee kaha jaaun”
Priya “Aage se left lelo aur immediate left turn to join ooti road”

And after another 2 Kms we are in front of resort though I don’t remember the name, it was indeed a cozy place with beautiful ambience ……we ordered some snacks ate and chatted for 3 Hrs then she took me to the mall-the only mall of mysore there i gifted her a chocolate box and around 5PM i started back to bangalore.............



Chapter 9:
20007-2008 Continued……………………..


Priya was busy in her exams and I was busy with my work so we hardly spoke from past one month .

This section is incomplete and will remain incomplete


















Epilogue:

After Ten Years


It was raining in Bangalore, predicting when its going to rain in b’lore is like when a pregnant woman will deliver a baby, you really don’t know—Any Time & Any Where!!
I came back from office after juggling, slogging at 7:30 PM and was almost drenched, removed my shoes, tie and craned my neck to 180 degrees for two times back &forth to check if somebody is around, my wife and daughter were in kitchen,
I said “Hey Priya get me a cup of strong coffee, strong decoction please!!”
My daughter came with a cup of coffee and said “Papa it’s raining outside lets go and dance”
I said “Your mother will kill both of us!! So go to your room and study……we will dance tomorrow…” It’s been 10 years that I am married, yes married!! It was an arranged marriage arranged by family and soul mate’s family; Then you must be wondering what happened to priya, yes!! Still I have priya, not as my soul mate but as my daughter- I named my daughter as PRIYA ………



In the other part of the world/City …
Priya came from her law firm where she is an attorney; she is handling criminal cases,
She entered her home and was looking for vinod My god its so good to be back in the home; Where the hell this naughty vinod, he should have been in home by this time after school, he has forgotten to take his lunch box to school …same old bhulakkad vinod………..

After freshen up herself she made herself her favorite cold coffee and went to kitchen to cook something for dinner; vinod came from the school, threw his bag &Shoes on sofa
“Ma, Ma!! I am hungry like hell please get me something to eat, something special……”

From the other side, Priya said to her son “Vinod, keep your books, shoes, bag all your stuff and freshen up yourself & come to kitchen ………….I am quite occupied ………….help yourself”






THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment